Thursday, February 13, 2014

Digging up the music of yesteryear...

Welcome!


I'm a lover of music of many genres.  I've done musical theatre for thirteen years, I studied classical and jazz in college, and I teach music to children.  However, one of my biggest loves goes to music from the 1950's and 1960's: doo-wop, rock 'n' roll, R&B, soul, Motown, traditional vocal, jazz, blues...  In particular, I'm a big fan of the grand, Phil Spector productions, soul records, and the girl group sounds.  And then there's Amy Winehouse - the late torch singer with a voice blessed by God and haunted by the ghosts of Dinah Washington and Billie Holiday.

My objective is to review a particular record (single, LP, EP, etc.) that moves me and that I think deserves greater attention.  Each post will include an overview of the record's history, a little about the singer's or the group's history, and an account of what makes each record so great.  So keep coming back for regular reviews on music's finest!

"People don't understand the kind of fight it takes to record what you want to record the way you want to record it." - Billie Holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment